Re: ABIWORD RU TRANSLATE

Subject: Re: ABIWORD RU TRANSLATE
From: Piotr Banski (bansp@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 10:49:40 CST

[CC-ing this to the developer list, for a reason]

Hi Ivan,

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, kiwi wrote:
> Hello Piotr,
>
> This is the final version of AbiWORD Russian Language File.
> i'll correct all founded bugs and all menus and dialogs
> looks like in Microsoft Word'97. (hotkeys, names etc)
> I think this helps people who works with Microsoft Word before.
> So please send me ru-RU.strings and i'll check it.
> I hope that all must OK. Than i'll send you all my coordinates and
> you resend this file to developers. Can you?
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan
> kiwi@pochtamt.ru

Bad news:

somewhere and notice that someone has already submitted Russian strings. I
thought it was you who did that, actually, cause it happened a few days
after I sent you the .strings file updated with the .po file you'd
created.

This is, I'm afraid, due to the fact that you might have not contacted the
maintainer of Russian strings before you started (as I advised you to and
assumed you did) or that there is no official maintainer for them. And
I've just checked: the file http://www.abisource.com/~sam/docs/CREDITS.TXT
which should contain this information and which you are directed to from
AbiWord help files is unreachable, so perhaps you didn't even have a way
to check that. The ru-RU.strings file doesn't give this information
either, unfortunately. (I cannot check the source right now cause my
computer at work went kaput and I have to use another.)

I would suggest that you look at those new strings and see if they can be
corrected, and if so, contact the person who submitted them and consult
the modifications with him. They don't appear to me to be complete, so
there is still a lot of room for you there, I hope. Maybe one of you will
want to become an official maintainer of those strings if there is none
yet.

Good luck,
Piotr