Re[2]: ABIWORD RU TRANSLATE

Subject: Re[2]: ABIWORD RU TRANSLATE
From: Vladimir Stoos' (vstoos@mail.ru)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 12:20:37 CST

Hello Piotr,

PB> [CC-ing this to the developer list, for a reason]

PB> Hi Ivan,

PB> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, kiwi wrote:
>> Hello Piotr,
>>
>> This is the final version of AbiWORD Russian Language File.
>> i'll correct all founded bugs and all menus and dialogs
>> looks like in Microsoft Word'97. (hotkeys, names etc)
>> I think this helps people who works with Microsoft Word before.
>> So please send me ru-RU.strings and i'll check it.
>> I hope that all must OK. Than i'll send you all my coordinates and
>> you resend this file to developers. Can you?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ivan
>> kiwi@pochtamt.ru

PB> Bad news:

PB> somewhere and notice that someone has already submitted Russian strings. I
PB> thought it was you who did that, actually, cause it happened a few days
PB> after I sent you the .strings file updated with the .po file you'd
PB> created.

PB> This is, I'm afraid, due to the fact that you might have not contacted the
PB> maintainer of Russian strings before you started (as I advised you to and
PB> assumed you did) or that there is no official maintainer for them. And
PB> I've just checked: the file http://www.abisource.com/~sam/docs/CREDITS.TXT
PB> which should contain this information and which you are directed to from
PB> AbiWord help files is unreachable, so perhaps you didn't even have a way
PB> to check that. The ru-RU.strings file doesn't give this information
PB> either, unfortunately. (I cannot check the source right now cause my
PB> computer at work went kaput and I have to use another.)

PB> I would suggest that you look at those new strings and see if they can be
PB> corrected, and if so, contact the person who submitted them and consult
PB> the modifications with him. They don't appear to me to be complete, so
PB> there is still a lot of room for you there, I hope. Maybe one of you will
PB> want to become an official maintainer of those strings if there is none
PB> yet.

PB> Good luck,
PB> Piotr

I sent corrected strings-file into list about week ago and I didn't want to
waste someones work - I'm just wanted to help.

There were errors in encodings of text in strings file in officially
released abiword 0.9.6.1 for Windows 9x - menus were in cp1251 and all
dialogs in koi8-r - I've just corrected this and sent to list. This file
was picked up by (I didn't saved original massage of developer, but, if I'm
not wront - it was Pierre Abbat).

Here is my message into list and those strings in attachment...

> Hello All!
>
> I've downloaded setup_abiword-0961-.exe from http://www.niksbiks.dk/Abi/
> because it allows creation of multithreaded connections.
> I'm using Windows 95 OSR2 Russian with Russian locale settings. After
> install I find that menu localization is corrupted but all dialogs were
> given in russian correctly.
> Viewing ru-RU.strings I reveal that one part of file has windows-1251
> encoding and another - koi8-r. I fixed this all to koi8-r and typed it in
> header of file. It works OK for me. Sending it to you.
>

> PS.(Sorry for incorrect English - only school knowledge)
> --
> Regards to all Abiword developers
> and contributors for your work
> from Ukrainian Abiword user
> Volodymyr vstoos@mail.ru

I'm sorry about this - I've thinked that all developers are reading dev-
list... That's why I've sent in here...

May be I can help?? (i.e. in testing of string-files, translation etc.)?

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                         mailto:vstoos@mail.ru