Re: commit: re 2548

Subject: Re: commit: re 2548
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 12:40:56 CST

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the feedback.

> I'm not clear on why 2548 requires this change, but this was an
> intentional design choice, made before any of us started on AbiWord.
> There's some further discussion of this on bug 215. --

The convention is that Shift+ "movement key combination" does
exactly the same as "movement key combination" except it
creates/extends selection instead of just moving the caret. If
PgUp/Down does not move the point, the Shift+PgDown cannot
select.

I had a look at 215 and there are couple problems in there. (1) Ctrl
PgDown/Up does something quite different than PgDown/Up, it
moves by whole page, not just a screen. (2) with the original
behaviour it is impossible to move up/down by a screen at a time
and then resume editing without using the mouse; this is a
nuisance for someone who types fast and prefers not to use mouse.

I think the suggestion that is made there that this should be user-
configurable is probably best, and I will look into that.

Tomas