Re: Occasional character clipped in printout

Subject: Re: Occasional character clipped in printout
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 04:03:19 CST

Thanks Larry.

> On a suggestion from Tomas Frydrych, I tried printing with
> "embed fonts" unchecked and the problem went away. The
> strange part is when I checked the box and tried it again;
> the clipping was *still* gone.

It would seem from this, that we are using a flawed afm file to do
the width calculations; the fact that unchecking the box fixes this
is surprising to me, I would have expected this to be the other way
around. But on the bright side, this does suggest that it is the afm
file that we provide with our fonts that is wrong, which should be
easy to remedy. When you uncheck the box, we do the layout
using our afm file, but when processing PS output GhostScript will
use _its_ fonts, and so it looks that our afm file matches the
GhostScript version of the font, but not _our_ version of the font.

Could you please run diff on the different versions of the
b018012l.afm file (I am particularly interested in any differences
between the one that comes with the GS font, and one that comes
with the current AW installation, but I am not sure which font GS
uses on your system).

Tomas