Re: web site suggestions

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 12:23:37 EDT

    On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 16:43, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > i was just typing an URL for the mailing list archives and was struck
    > again by possibly the most annoying and broken thing about Unix based
    > webservers, case sensistive links.

    That's the most annoying and broken thing about dos based web server,
    case insensitivity. Why should a and A be the same character? That's
    stupid.

    That's the behaviour it should be, or were you taught in school that
    your name is written alan instead of Alan ? :)

    > the url contained uppercase letters and i typed some of them in lowercase
    > and it failed
    > http://www.abisource.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/02/May/
    > I typed
    > http://www.abisource.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/02/may/
    > Could someone please adjust Apache so this does not happen, and perhaps
    > also consider installing mod_spel

    That's wrong behaviour for an webserver.

    > I'll try and remember to file a bug report later as a reminder and get
    > in touch with Hypermail as well if necessary.

    Please do not clutter bugzilla with useless bugs. This is a broken
    behaviour used on dos based systems that should not be supported.

    > Also as a POW someone might consider customising the 404 (and 4__)
    > messages (i might do it myself next week when i am less busy).

    This is a very good suggestion!

    Instead of using a mod_spell, maybe 404 (not found) should provide a
    google form for a search restricted to abisource.com.

    Cheers,

    + So let's do it...?