Re: web site suggestions

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 15:52:05 EDT

    Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote in
    news:Pine.LNX.4.40.0206022027170.21691-100000@turing.maths.tcd.ie:

    > partially case insensitive!
    > that has got to be the worst of both worlds
    > are you sure?

    URIs are *wholly* case sensitive. But URLs where only the case of
    domain names differ are equivalent. Most browsers therefore
    automatically lowercase domain names, so that link colouring
    (visited URIs are shown in a different colour), cache, history,
    cookies &c. will work.

    Are there any Web servers that's case-insensitive. That's a
    *really* bad idea, since link colouring, cache, &c. (see above)
    will *not* work when a person visits the page using different URIs
    which only differ in case. It can also cause your pages becoming
    excluded from search engines because of 'spamming' (different URIs
    having the same content are often used to trick search engines
    into giving a page a higher ranking, and most search engines
    exclude pages using these sorts of tactics).

    > i still think apache mod_spel is great, gives useful
    > suggestions than giving me just a 404 message.

    'mod_speling' (sic!) is a good/right solution, since this does
    *not* cause Apache to become case-insensitive. Instead it send
    HTTP *redirects* for incorrectly spelled URIs when it can guess
    the correct URI. (This may of course be a security risk if you
    have secret files/directories on your Web server. (Though, if you
    *do*, then your security system is already seriously flawed!))

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer