Re: web site suggestions

From: Michiel Toneman (michiel@apenstaartje.nl)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 16:28:07 EDT

    On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 18:33, Alan Horkan wrote:

    > > That's the most annoying and broken thing about dos based web server,
    > > case insensitivity. Why should a and A be the same character? That's
    > > stupid.
    >
    > It is useful feature for a unix filesystem, and enviroments where the
    > benifit of ease of use is outweighed by a greater namespace. I am not
    > suggesting case sensitivity is not a useful feature but it is a broken
    > feature for a webserver. Tim Berners Lee designed http links to be it
    > case insensitve, it makes it sooo much easier and is a damned good idea in
    > that particular context.
    >
    > i dont know why i dont just totally ignore all email from you, even if it
    > is not deliberate you manage to consistantly piss me off.

    Hey, just /dev/null him with procmail if you don't want to hear from
    him... No need to get snooty and personal on a public mailing list when
    someone doesn't agree with your (IMHO unjustified and silly) rant.

    Case insensitivity creates a horrid ambiguity in filenaming. Tim did NOT
    design links to be case insensitive. Microsoft consistently creates
    ambiguous namespaces in filenaming schemes, creating all sorts of nasty
    gotchas.

    > could the developers who work on the website and actually care about it
    > being easy to use please consider this (or tell me what i need to do to
    > fix it when i have time).

    I'm sure the developers who work on the website 'care' about usability,
    nice attitude there...

    Michiel Toneman

    --
    PGP: http://public.apenstaartje.nl/keys/toneman.asc