Fonts, layouts, and video tapes

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 16:29:15 EDT

    It seems that my smtp/pop server has decided to not
    colaborate today...

    I've send a few hours ago an email saying basically
    that I've written a little app for testing my thoughts
    on WYSIWYG layouts.

    In this app, you can write text, and it will be layed
    out using linearly scaled metrics and (20 pixels
    below) using the current AbiWord algorithm.

    I then compared a screenshot of this program with the
    layout of MS Word. MS Word matches the layout using
    linearly scaled metrics pixel by pixel, except for a
    little 1-pixel off in some characters, that I think is
    due to MS Word truncating when it should round.

    sshot at
    http://www.ie2.u-psud.fr/~cuenca/abi_vs_word.png

    My email explaining all that in detail will hit the
    mailing list sooner or later, so I will not repeat all
    the details here.

    Comments?

    Cheers,

    =====