Re: Using of system-wide ispell dictionaries

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 10:02:19 EDT

    On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
    > Sorry if this question is too stupid from your point of view, but:
    > how I can configure AbiWord to use system-wide ispell dictionaries?

    The NetBSD port patches abiword to use NetBSD system ispell dictionaries,
    so it is certainly possible - but you won't get much support from the
    AbiWord developers if you take that route.

    debian builds abiword to use pspell/aspell and uses debian system
    aspell/ispell hashes.

    what operating system / architecture are you using?

    the basic problem with ispell hashes is that they are hideously
    unportable. ispell has a number of compile-time options that affect the
    hash format, and compiler/architecture probably affects it as well...

    abiword has a particular choice of settings and I have an x86 and ppc set
    up to build hashes with those settings - chances are your distribution
    uses different settings.

    Ciao, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

    "No, she really likes me. She told me I look like Britney Spears, and why
    would you say that to somebody you don't like?"
                                                               --- Elle Woods