Using of system-wide ispell dictionaries

From: Andrew W. Nosenko (awn@bcs.zp.ua)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 13:28:53 EDT

    Sorry if this question is too stupid from your point of view, but:
    how I can configure AbiWord to use system-wide ispell dictionaries?

    Background (as I can see, but, possible, I'm is mistaken?):

    1. From one hand:

       Abiword uses own ispell-like dictionaries.

       Format of these dictionaries near to dictionaries of ispell but
       different (affix comression is not used, some mysterious
       magic2==0x9602 is exists, file(1) utility say about 8-bit hash file
       instead of 7-bit for original ispell dictionaries[1]).

    2. From other hand:

       Already installed ispell and dictionaries exists.

       These dictionaries use affix compression and therefore waste more
       less space. And as last but not least -- In case with system-wide
       dictionaries I know what dictionary is used (not name of hash file,
       but who is author) and therefore can adjust my degree of thrust to
       results of spell checking or just use more thrusted dictionary.

       But copying/symlinking into abiword's dictionary directory don't work
       (abiword complains about magic2).

    [1] This 7-bit don't prevent ispell with russian.hash checks 8-bit
        russian texts well ;-)

    --
    Andrew W. Nosenko    (awn@bcs.zp.ua)