Re: Request For Comments (and commit: new spec-template)

From: Mark Gilbert (webmaster@dofty.zzn.com)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 21:04:15 EDT

    On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 17:23, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
    > On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 21:26, Mark Gilbert wrote:
    > > 1) Plugins will be bundled. KJD set a great example with his bundles,
    > > we're gonna implement at packager level. So far just IE and TOOLS.
    >
    > That may be too bundled (specially in the case of HEAD but we're talking
    > about STABLE), but wth.

    We'll see. I just know that the number of plugins has quickly grown,
    and will continue to do so. Both uploading, maintaining, and
    downloading 16 different rpms is gettin' to be a real PITA. As other
    plugins progress and get fixed up (I can think of five off the top of my
    head that already exist in some form but aren't included in this spec),
    the number will certainly jump. My point of view is that for almost all
    users, it will be easier this way to download and install. But we can
    always live and learn one way or another, and provide alternatives as
    necessary (I can think of a sufficient way to transitionally implement
    this already).

    I'll be checking statistics of different combinations and lack thereof
    later tonight and tomorrow. I'll tell you what I come up with.

    > > 2) Instead of 2 gtk and 2 gnome (with and without bidi), we should
    > > have one of each, bidi-enabled.
    >
    > For me, it's two less items in a list on a pwetty basic shell script, so
    > I don't mind at all to keep providing rpms with bidi and without bidi on
    > STABLE.

    But the idea is that we don't do that any more. This isn't to make
    things easier on you, it's for bugsquashing, user-friendlying,
    site-maintainer-friendlying, and several other less significant reasons.

    > > 3) If we can build the application on a given architecture, we should
    > > be able to build the rpms on that architecture.
    >
    > if --target ARCH works fine for cross compiling to athlon, sparc, etc,
    > it's just a matter of adding a couple of items to another list on the
    > same shell script.

    We went through this the other night, and at the time you went to bed it
    still wouldn't build on non-x86. And this wasn't cross compiling, it
    was native. No offense, but you aren't the only one who ever builds
    rpms, though we do appreciate having you make the 'official' release
    rpms. I and others don't have a script, just make distribution.
    No, it shouldn't be hard to implement, but it isn't done yet.

    > > I'm fairly certain that this incarnation of the spec doesn't work out-of-box,
    > > but I can't do any more with it right now not having a working copy of rpm.
    > > I'm sure uwog and Sc0tt will fix it up all pretty and nice-like.
    >
    > It does work out of the box, maybe not with make ...=rpm but it does
    > work with out of the box rh7.3 by adding abiword.spec to the root of the
    > tar.gz that has the source.

    Uh...I meant abiword.spec-template2 in case you got confused. When you
    came in irc, you hadn't even heard of it, and had to run off somewhere,
    so I'm assuming you aren't talking about the same thing.

    Regards
    -MG