Re: Request For Comments (and commit: new spec-template)

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 17:23:59 EDT

    On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 21:26, Mark Gilbert wrote:
    > 1) Plugins will be bundled. KJD set a great example with his bundles,
    > we're gonna implement at packager level. So far just IE and TOOLS.

    That may be too bundled (specially in the case of HEAD but we're talking
    about STABLE), but wth.

    > 2) Instead of 2 gtk and 2 gnome (with and without bidi), we should
    > have one of each, bidi-enabled.

    For me, it's two less items in a list on a pwetty basic shell script, so
    I don't mind at all to keep providing rpms with bidi and without bidi on
    STABLE.

    > 3) If we can build the application on a given architecture, we should
    > be able to build the rpms on that architecture.

    if --target ARCH works fine for cross compiling to athlon, sparc, etc,
    it's just a matter of adding a couple of items to another list on the
    same shell script.

    > Note that if a plugin either doesn't build or is useless (freetrans,
    > eg,festvox) it got removed from this version of the spec. Naturally
    > some are to be put back when (re)written.

    fine by me.

    > I'm fairly certain that this incarnation of the spec doesn't work out-of-box,
    > but I can't do any more with it right now not having a working copy of rpm.
    > I'm sure uwog and Sc0tt will fix it up all pretty and nice-like.

    It does work out of the box, maybe not with make ...=rpm but it does
    work with out of the box rh7.3 by adding abiword.spec to the root of the
    tar.gz that has the source.

    Cheers,

    rms

    + So let's do it...?