Request For Comments (and commit: new spec-template)

From: Mark Gilbert (webmaster@dofty.zzn.com)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 16:26:06 EDT

    I fully intend several things with 1.0.3 and future releases.

    1) Plugins will be bundled. KJD set a great example with his bundles,
       we're gonna implement at packager level. So far just IE and TOOLS.
    2) Instead of 2 gtk and 2 gnome (with and without bidi), we should
       have one of each, bidi-enabled.
    3) If we can build the application on a given architecture, we should
       be able to build the rpms on that architecture.

    So far I have encountered no argument at all to any of these three things.
    They apply to the builds we upload to SourceForge (and presumably to
    Savannah, unless Sc0tt wants it differently).

    Note that if a plugin either doesn't build or is useless (freetrans,
    eg,festvox) it got removed from this version of the spec. Naturally
    some are to be put back when (re)written.

    Note that if I hardwired a build option in the spec (like debug,jpeg,opt,
    bidi) it means that this should be used for release uploads.

    I'm fairly certain that this incarnation of the spec doesn't work out-of-box,
    but I can't do any more with it right now not having a working copy of rpm.
    I'm sure uwog and Sc0tt will fix it up all pretty and nice-like.

    So, I'd like to hear your thoughts, having so few of my own (-:
    -MG