Re: Xft front status -- WANTED: win & postscript hackers

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 22:52:01 EDT

     --- Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr>
    wrote: > I've got Insert Symbol to work.

    As usual you're getting to play with all the fun
    stuff.

    > I've changed it to display all the font glyphs, and
    > then to transform
    > from each glyph index to unicode point (to insert it
    > in the document).
    >
    > Putting the drawing area of the insert symbol in a
    > scrolled window to be
    > able to see all the glyphs in the font is left as an
    > exercise to the
    > reader.
    >
    > I've only done the unix side of things, but the xp
    > function that I've
    > done has been modeled after the windows function to
    > get the coverage of
    > a font, so it should be easier to do in Windows,
    > *but*
    > GetFontUnicodeRanges (which I guess it's the
    > function that we should use
    > in windows) is only available in >Windows 98. What
    > can we use in
    > windows 95??

    This function should be wrapped in UT_XXX or somewhere
    since it will surely need different versions for
    freetype, Pango, xft, etc and might well be worth
    abstracting anyway.
    Windows has a function for checking if certain API
    calls exist. You might find that it actually
    exists on earlier versions than is documented. Many
    Unicode functions do this. For the case when this
    test fails, I'd recommend just doing an assert and
    exiting gracefully, otherwise Windows will crash.
    Then file a bug saying that a Win95 implementation is
    needed.

    > So at this point the Xft version of AbiWord has the
    > same functionalities
    > (and almost the same flaws, except for the insert
    > symbol dialog, which
    > is better in the Xft version).
    >
    > I then switched to the print stuff. The goal: be
    > able to print without
    > having to generate afm files from the ttf files.
    >
    > I've done it, fixing at the same time things that
    > look as bugs to my
    > eyes (why are we using the bounding box top point as
    > ascender instead of
    > the character ascender?), but I'm still having some
    > problems.
    >
    > I can not really compare the results with the old
    > version of abiword,
    > because the old version that I have is a gnome
    > version, which uses
    > gnome-print to generate the postscript file, and
    > ghostscript it's saying
    > that the gnome-print postscript file is boggus.
    >
    > At http://www.ie2.u-psud.fr/~cuenca/abi_ggv.png you
    > can see and sshot of
    > a trivial AbiWord file, and what ggv renders. As
    > you can see it don't
    > renders right the italic nor the underlined parts.

    That looks really beautiful!

    > Can anybody says me if it worked on a older version
    > of AbiWord (using
    > truetype fonts)?
    >
    > I'm only hacked the "non-embed fonts" part. I still
    > have to do the
    > embed fonts part.
    >
    > Btw, if somebody has a reference to the postscript
    > language, I will be grateful.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Keep it up, man. Andrew.

    =====