patch -- Xft stuff

From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 03:17:56 EDT

    Latest and greatest Xft patch.

    It sports on the fly transformation of truetype fonts to type 42 (using
    previous Tomas work), if you choose to embed them in your postscript
    files. It will only put in the postscript file the truetype fonts used
    in the document (of course). It doesn't does subsetting, so you have to
    pay for the whole font even if you only use a few characters.

    That means that for a typical document, you will have something and
    overhead of ~3M in fonts.

    If that scares you, configure ghostscript to use your truetype fonts,
    and don't select the "Embed fonts" in the print dialog box. Your .ps
    files will be ~4k again.

    The good news:

    <help_file>
       Installation of a truetype font (if you have fontconfig installed)
       -------------------------------

       Unzip it and copy it in your /usr/share/fonts. Done.
    </help_file>

    I've not tested type 1 fonts in a while, so maybe I've broken something
    there (I don't think so, but who knows...). I will test them asap.

    Also the insert dialog box now does The Right Thing[TM], but that means
    that we need a little bit of platform specific cody (to pass from a
    glyph index to unicode code point). I've done the unix part, and I will
    do the windows part, but somebody else will have to do the
    BeOS/QNX/MacOS parts.

    Please, try the patch. If something weird happens (you don't see
    anything on screen, for instance :) that will mean that I've screwed a
    bit or two. Report any problems to me, and I will try to fix them asap.

    Btw, you will need latest fontconfig/Xft2 stuff. You can get it at
    http://keithp.com/fonts. Owen has done rpm packages from these
    snapshots, but I don't remember the link.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquín Cuenca Abela
    cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr