Re: RFC: future develpment/release strategy

From: Robert Wilhelm (robert@gaston.camelot.de)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 17:38:15 EDT

    Here is my humble opinion on this topic.

    With Martin's table work progressing nicely and Joaquin's cool xft code,
    I am in favor going into release mode soon. This will fix both top bug reports
     (Unix fonts) and feature requests (tables).
    Let's say first alpha and feature freeze of 1.2 in September
    and release end of year.
    The gtk2 port could also make it in this release, if dom agrees
    and if we get xft2 and gtk2 working side by side.

    I think that in such a timeframe it is impossible to get pango
    integrated and working on our main platforms.
    BTW: Pango HEAD is now also based on fontconfig and Xft2 while
    pango 1.0.x is using Xft1.
    I see Joaquins work as a big step in the right direction
    and I think it will not hinder but help us using Pango in the future.

    In my opinion two main branches of cvs (STABLE for 1.0.x)
    and (HEAD for 1.2) should be enough. Pango work
    could be ifdef's out or getting done on a seperate branch
    (like GTK2 branch) and merge later when it is more mature.

    Robert