note on vertical scripts support in AW

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 06:41:12 EDT

    Just a note on how I see support for vertically writen languages to
    be integrated into AW:

    At the moment, we do not support vertically written scripts. This will
    not change even when we integrate Pango in, I assume, AW 2. This
    is not just because AFAIK Pango does not support vertical layout
    yet, but because AW 2 will not use the higher level Pango layout
    engine, only the low-level shaping engine, while the core of the AW
    2 layout engine will be near-identical to the AW 1 layout engine. The
    vertical script support is something to be left for AW 3; by then
    Pango will be much more mature and we most likely will want to use
    its higher-level engine for doing our layout.

    Tomas