Re: FAQ, FAQ, FAQ [Re: TWiki Feedback] (fwd)

From: Jesper Skov (jskov@zoftcorp.dk)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 12:51:14 EDT

    On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 18:25, Randy Kramer wrote:
    > Jesper Skov wrote:
    > > I fail to see how the current FAQ can be non-intuitive for someone who's
    > > capable of using a browser. All it contains is a list of links to
    > > subjects, rather than listing them all on a single page.
    > >
    > > *editing* the FAQ may be non-intuitive for someone who can't be bothered
    > > to spend the time, but then, the old FAQ wasn't editable so surely
    > > that's not the issue here...
    > >
    > > I'll restore the old static FAQ and add the link. And then I think I'll
    > > avoid making any more changes to www.abisource.com. It seems I'm mostly
    > > getting flak when trying to improve things, so it's probably a sign that
    > > I'm not.
    >
    > Hi Jesper,
    >
    > Don't get discouraged! And don't stop making changes to the site. I
    > like the TWiki (although I may be biased).

    Ta. But I think I'll try to spend some time on programming instead of
    the fluffy web stuff where world+dog seems to have their own (different)
    opinion on how to do thing, but nobody seems to actually do anything
    about it.

    Hopefully the Twiki will allow some of the people with good ideas to act
    them out rather than just talk about them.

    > Please take a look at these pages:
    >
    > http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/FaqTestPage
    > http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/FaqSummary
    >
    > I wonder if the FaqSummary page would be more useful to people trying to
    > use the Faq. Using the "inline search" feature, you can display the
    > title of any page that meets a defined search criteria as well as the
    > first 162 characters or so of the text on that page as a summary. If
    > everyone writes their Faqs to provide a meaningful statement of a
    > question in the first 162 characters, that may make the FAQ more like
    > the original and easier to use.
    >
    > If you think it's a good idea, I can move toward setting it up. I would
    > probably choose a different prefix than Faq so that we don't include
    > pages accidentally, and I'd rename the summary page so it is not
    > included in the search results. But, of course, all that is subject to
    > discussion and future modification.

    I think it's an excellent idea. Please help yourself and make the
    changes.

    Jesper