on link's license

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 01:12:09 GMT

    Jared:
      What's the scope, how are link's authors reacting to your email?
      I would point out that they will have a greater leverage agains abuse
    of their work on link if they release it under the GNU GPL rather than
    many other free licenses:
      Why:
       * their license clearly gives a sign that they are worried about
         proprietary solutions. I believe that it's once again the common
         mistake of thinking that free software is not commercial, and thus
         confusing proprietary with commercial.

       * as the sole authors of link, they can decide to provide a
         proprietary license for some amount of money, or other
         compensation, to those who would like to use link in a
         proprietary program, and generally releasing link with the software
         freedom.

       * if link's GPL, then no one can legally make proprietary software
         and exploit all their hard work! Whoever wants to do so, would have
         to ask them for a proprietary software license JUST THE SAME AS
         THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO NOW!
       * The bonus of link being GPL: we can use it freely.

    Hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?