Re: Intention to release 0.99.3 this Friday.

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 22:42:13 GMT

    On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 20:02, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > We've been discussing the final strech to 1.0 on IRC. Here is
    > what we plan to do.
    > On Friday we will make another release, 0.99.3. We plan this to be the
    > last release before 1.0. The idea is to get binaries out to users who can
    > do final checks for us. Assuming no show stoppers show up, we will then
    > make a 1.0 release in late March.

    Great! However, it would be better to release on monday.
    That way, if there is some last minute problem, we'll all be around to
    quickly put up some 0.99.4, instead of having the whole weekend with a
    new release unattended.

    > Yes there will be bugs in 1.0. However no software is bug free and we
    > would like to get 1.0 out of the way so we can address the major changes
    > we'll need to make to handle new features like Tables, footnotes,
    > embedding, better font and glyph handling and equations.

    This is why 1.0 should only come out _after_ all known and reproduceable
    bugs were killed. No matter how many 0.99.x's.
    But this is my most sincere opinion, and I do not think we need to
    relaunch the thread. I will not answer in anyway on this subject again,
    anyway, except when things like this are said. Yes, there are
    potentially bugs in 1.0 software, but all known should have been killed.

    > The 1.0 branch will acquire bug fixes but no new features.
    I will only redo packages for the 1.0 branch as needed, otherwise, I'll
    just be focused on cvs head.

    > So we need volenteers for packaging as before. We would especially
    > appreciate people taking the time to do thorough tests of the 0.99.3
    > release.

    As usual.. I'm here for rh 7.2 rpms (signed).

    Hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?