Re: Intention to release 0.99.3 this Friday.

From: Andrzej Pruszynski (abi@rth.coi.waw.pl)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 09:45:47 GMT

    On Tue 12. March 2002 23:42, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
    > On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 20:02, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > > Yes there will be bugs in 1.0. However no software is bug free and we
    > > would like to get 1.0 out of the way so we can address the major changes
    > > we'll need to make to handle new features like Tables, footnotes,
    > > embedding, better font and glyph handling and equations.
    >
    > This is why 1.0 should only come out _after_ all known and reproduceable
    > bugs were killed. No matter how many 0.99.x's.
    > But this is my most sincere opinion, and I do not think we need to
    > relaunch the thread. I will not answer in anyway on this subject again,
    > anyway, except when things like this are said. Yes, there are
    > potentially bugs in 1.0 software, but all known should have been killed.

    I think that above we experience some kind of MAGIC of numbers. What is more
    important: QUALITY or Quantity, Faster or Better? Please do not follow
    companies (some of them are quite big and rich) which release software with
    bugs.

    Knowing potential of the programmers I am sure what AbiWord could be the best
    and widest used word processor in the world. But for this the crucial feature
    is quality. Why plenty of people hates ms? Because of quality!... and
    prizes...

    Personally, I do want to know the truth. Let it be the worst, but it is the
    truth. If I know the truth I know that to do. If not, some kind of illusion
    rules me. Sometimes illusive software rules. But as allways: there is defined
    "the end" of illusion. Maybe unknown for public, but it is defined. Because
    thru all centuries only the truth survives. Always illusion finds its
    no-place, faster or slower. Strong fundaments mean long lifetime.

    If i use software ver.0.99.532 with bugs it is fully acceptable. If 1.0 have
    bugs it depends...
    If i read specification of the features supported by ver.1.0 it is clear what
    the specified features should work without known bugs.

    If you *REALLY* want to release 1.0 version with low quality features, it is
    better to change specification of 1.0 version AND switch off problematic
    features.

    My best thoughts to you all
    and
    sincere respect to professionalists and hackers

    Andrzej Pruszynski