How to print ISO-8859-2 with the GTK build?

From: Mike Fabian (mfabian@suse.de)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 01:07:15 GMT

    Is it possible to print ISO-8859-2 (e.g. Czech) text when Abiword is
    build only with GTK and not with Gnome?

    With the Gnome build Czech printing worked for me 'out of the box'.
    Correct Czech characters were printed but the fonts which were
    embedded in the produced PostScript files were different from the
    fonts selected in the Abiword Menu (i.e. the URW fonts were used only
    for display on X11, not for printing).

    The same effect occurs for German (LANG=de_DE abiword) as well.
    When testing with German I found:

    Gnome Build:
        in Abiword Buffer: embedded in PostScript File:

    1) Nimbus Roman /GnomeUni-Andale-Mono-Regular
    2) Nimbus Mono /GnomeUni-Andale-Mono-Regular
    3) Times New Roman /GnomeUni-Times-New-Roman-Regular
    4) Nimbus Sans Condensed /GnomeUni-Andale-Mono-Regular
    5) Dingbats /GnomeUni-Dingbats
    6) Standard Symbols /GnomeUni-Andale-Mono-Regular

    1): mono spaced sans serif font should not be used to print a proportional
        serif font

    2): mono spaced is OK, but should not be sans serif wrong

    3): proportional and serif, i.e. OK, but the print font looks quite
        different and is *very* ugly (the outlines have 'dents').

    4): should not be monospaced

    5): blank paper when viewed with Ghostscript

    6): wrong symbols when viewed with Ghostscript

    GTK Build:
        in Abiword Buffer: in Postcript File:
    1) Nimbus Roman /NimbusRomNo9L-Regu
    2) Nimbus Mono /NimbusMonL-Regu
    3) Times New Roman /NimbusRomNo9L-Regu
    4) Nimbus Sans Condensed /NimbusSanL-ReguCond
    5) Dingbats /Dingbats
    6) Standard Symbols /StandardSymL

    everything prints nicely exactly as displayed in the Abiword buffer
    and the fonts are beautiful.

    Do you have any idea what is going on here?
    Is my gnome-print setup completely fucked up?

    If I can't fix the problems when printing German with the Gnome
    build, I would prefer the GTK build (which has the additional
    benefit that CJK printing works).

    But when I use the GTK build, I found no way to print Czech
    correctly.

    Viewing the PostScript files directly with Ghostscript doesn't produce
    correct results an modifying the PostScript files with ogonkify didn't
    work either.

    --
    Mike Fabian   <mfabian@suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
    睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。