Re: How to print ISO-8859-2 with the GTK build?

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 23:15:55 GMT

    > But when I use the GTK build, I found no way to print Czech
    > correctly.

    The problem lies in the fact that many of the commonly available
    iso-8859-2 PostScript fonts are broken. They have the correct
    glyph shapes in them, but the glyphs use iso-8859-1 names
    (basically someone modified the glyph appearances in an iso8859-
    1 font, but did not rename the glyphs). AbiWord needs the glyph
    names to be correct, without them it will not find the iso8859-2
    glyphs in the afm file and will replace them with the little circle.

    There is a way around such a broken font -- you have to create a
    custom u2g file which contains the mapping between the glyph
    names used in the font, and their Unicode values. For format of the
    file see adobe-full.u2g that comes with the AW font pack. The file
    has to have the same name as the font file it is for, except the
    extension, i.e., if your font is arial.pfa, you need to create arial.u2g
    (use symlinks for identical files), and be located in the same
    directory as the font.

    Tomas