Re:commit: AbiGimp plugin.

From: Kenneth J.Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 09:45:30 GMT

    Hi all,

    For those of you who use Windows, I took the gimp plugin and
    turned it into my AbiPaint (as in MS Paint, the image editor
    that I think is with all versions of Windows) Plugin.

    The default (both registry settings and if there are no
    registry settings) are to invoke mspaint.exe and convert
    the image to BMP. However via the registry you can
    specify any arbitrary program to use (as long as it can
    be invoked with the filename to edit as argv[1] and it
    supports either PNG or BMP). For example these settings
    will set it to use MS' Photo Editor (on my computer) without
    converting the image to BMP before executing.

    ---
    "AbiPaint_Pgm"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\PhotoEd\\PhotoEd.exe\""
    "AbiPaint_PNG"="1"
    --

    The PNG to BMP conversion is done using PNGDIB - a mini DIB-PNG conversion library for Win32 By Jason Summers <jason1@pobox.com> Version 2.1.0, Feb. 2002 Web site: http://pobox.com/~jason1/imaging/pngdib/ There may be some issues as it wants a newer version of libpng than in the peer section, but seems to work correctly.

    Source is available here (makefile & .nsis files included): http://www.darklogic.org/abiword/plugins/abipaint.zip

    The binary installer (requires recent build): http://www.darklogic.org/abiword/plugins/AbiWord_Plugin_AbiPaint.exe

    [And yes I'm open to a better name. (Note I add no copyright to the sources.)]

    In my very limited trials I saw no problems. Works just like Martin's gimp plugin, except its "Edit Image (Paint)".

    Hope ya like it? Jeremy Davis jeremyd@computer.org

    Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> wrote on 3/14/2002 7:13:08 PM: > .. >---------------------------------------------------------------------- >New gimp plugin. Edit your images in abiword with the gimp! > > >With this plugin you can edit images within abiword using the gimp. > >To use it: >1. Select the image you want to edit. >2. Select "Edit Image" for the tools menu. > >The gimp starts with your image in it. >Edit the image as you wish. When you want to see what it looks like choose >"save" and the image will be replaced in abiword with the gimpified >version. > >Keep editting with the gimp until your happy, then close the gimp and >return to AbiWord. > .. >Enjoy our new Feature :-) > > >Cheers > >Martin