Re: GNU license

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 14:23:39 EST

    Ill try and answer a few things in one go ...

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Andrzej Pruszynski wrote:

    > On Sun 17. March 2002 15:55, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
    > > On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 01:24, Andrzej Pruszynski wrote:
    > > > As you know the only English version of GNU GPL is officially valid.
    > > > But when I am starting an instalation of AbiWord i have to agree with...
    > > > what? ...
    > >
    > > With nothing.
    >
    > So, "I agree" button is needless.

    Yeah, click through license agreements are not legally binding although
    in American companies have tried to buy legislation to make it legally
    binding. Read about UCITA, im sure google will have lots of information
    about it.

    We could change the button to 'Next' instead of 'I Agree', but i dont
    think it is worth bothering with. The button is a detail, a technicality.
    There is not really much point displaying the license at all,
    but it is harmless publicity and helps to inform and educate people
    about the Gnu Public License and Free(dom) Software and the Open Source
    methodology we wish to promote.

    > > I'm not against including them, but I don't think that, they not being
    > > valid, we gain anything more than with pointing to the url.

    All or nothing, display it or dont.
    The license includes a link to Gnu.org and anyone who cares can go there
    and find out more (and in more languages).

    Translating legal documents is a minefield. The Irish Constitution is in
    two languages, and believe me it causes problems.
    For simplicity the definitive version of the GPL is the (American) English
    version.

    Storm in teacup, volunteer with the Gnu project if you want to help
    tranlate the GPL. I dont see any good reason for abiword to change what
    it is doing for the windows installer at the moment. (i hope Michael
    Pritchett agrees with me).

    (~56k dialup sucks rocks, ive gotta go now)

    Later
    Alan