Re: Organisation of Translation

From: Andrzej Pruszynski (abi@rth.coi.waw.pl)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 15:58:40 EST

    On Sun 17. March 2002 18:45, Rhoslyn Prys wrote:
    > Could I check out with you some suggestions about the organisation of
    > the translation of Abiword.
    > 1. As a translator with little programming skills or knowledge I'm
    > having great difficulty in obtaining current copies of en-US .po files.
    > I'm spending a lot of time trying to get cvs to work for me and then
    > ./update. Arrrgh.... It would be a better use of my time to translate
    > something else. ;-) Could a current .po file be generated whenever
    > there were changes, so that:
    > a. we would know when translation was needed
    > b. I could readily get hold of a copy of the .po file.:-)
    >
    > see http://www.linux-mandrake.com/l10n/cy.php3 or www.opera.com for some
    > idea of what has worked well for me in the past. I also get a copy of
    > the relevant file e-mailed to me from ML when further translation is
    > needed.

    The problem is that web page about translation is not fully acturate:

    1.1.
    The page http://www.abisource.com/dev/strings/strings.html is unavailable.

    1.2.
    It should be clear which type of file is a master, i.e. .strings

    (When I just joined for translating I translated a Polish .po file, but it
    was an very old slave only. And my work was an "exercice only", because I
    didn't know about the last translation done by Piotr Banski.)

    1.3.
    Maybe is would be easier to download .strings and use a software for creating
    .po file on a local translator's computer. And then recreate a .strings file.

    =========

    I share with you my method of working with .strings on win32. Maybe it will
    be usefull for somebody (especially in the first stage of a translation).

    a) install the lastest version of AbiWord (Win32) in a default path.

    b) make a backup of your xx-XX.strings (for safety)
    .strings are in a directory like that:
    c:\Program Files\AbiSuite\AbiWord\strings

    c) open your working .strings with Notepad
    i.e. c:\Program Files\AbiSuite\AbiWord\strings\xx-XX.strings
    (make shortcut to it in your home directory - its convenient)

    d) edit strings, do not touch string definitions; it looks like that:
    DEFINITION_of_something="translated"
    where "translated" should be in your language xx-XX

    e) once you do some portion of translation run AbiWord and see results
    (sometimes you have to change translation because of lack of space)

    f) keyboard shortcut string is defined by: &
    & should stay just before the letter for shortcut

    g) sometimes you have to add predefined constants; something like %s, %d
    follow the English version for instance: en-IE.strings or en-GB.strings
    (open as mentioned in c)

    h) as an extention you can work with both versions at the same time (English
    and xx-XX) - for running the English one install a second copy of AbiWord in
    different (not default) location. For instance:
    c:\Program Files\Second Copy of AbiSuite\
    and change name or extension your language xx-XX.strings file:
    c:\Program Files\Second Copy of AbiSuite\AbiWord\strings\xx-XX.strings
    Running two versions you can compare translation with oryginal, you can see
    the efect of your work on eyes.

    i) there is a small group of strings which is outside strings. you can edit
    using the same method, but for effects you have to wait for a compilled
    version.

    j) When sending such strings make a NOTE that your strings are from win32.
    They have an extra #13 characters which should be removed for Unix-like
    systems. There is a simple way to remove them in Unix-like OS.

    Fine if helps,

    Andrzej Pruszynski