filters: Abiword vs KWord

From: Ariya Hidayat (ariya@tf.itb.ac.id)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 18:10:02 EST

    dear all,

    I wrote and maintain a few KWord filters and would like to share couple of
    interesting things:

    (1) Months ago there're some threads here discussing about AmiPro filter
    for Abiword. Well, I have started to reverse engineer the format and even
    write AmiPro filter (import and export) for KWord. Along with my little
    documentation, I think this could be served as a basis for Abiword's
    AmiPro filter. Of course, helps are really appreciated.

    (2) PalmDoc filter in Abiword is not finished yet. And sometimes it's
    broken, notably the export filter. Feel free to see KWord's version for
    complete PDB access and implementation of PalmDoc text compression.

    (3) Now WRT WordPerfect import filter. In KWord's WP filter, I have
    compiled few lists to map almost all WP international character to its
    Unicode equivalent. Obviously, this could be used in Abiword as well. In
    addition, with Abi's WP filter framework, also it should be easy to
    support WP version 5.x.

    Had anyone interested in KWord's filters source code, take a look at
    http://lxr.kde.org/source/koffice/filters/kword (or maybe get KOffice
    tarball and compile :-) I hope we can see more cooperation in the near
    future...

    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Ariya Hidayat