Re: GNU license

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 20:03:50 EST

    > 1. Change "i agree" button to "next"

    I suppose if it used to be 'next', i wont complain if someone else
    changes it.

    > 2. It would be BEAUTIFUL to add localized versions of GNU GPL for better
    > understanding free software movement. But as I understand I am the only vote
    > for doing this. In my opinion there is enough to add 3 sentences:

    No, no, no. I strongly object to this.
    If you want to add a link to relavant place on the Gnu.org website
    with explainations in other languages then that would be a great idea
    and fine by me but translating legal documents is a very very bad
    idea. Even more importantly, translation of the Gnu Public License is a
    matter for the Free Software Foundation, not a project trying to put
    together a word processor. Im sure they would appreciate your input.

    It would be possible to localise the rest of the installer. Remind me
    again several times this week and ill get off my ass and do the necessary
    i10n (internationalisation) work to make it possible.

    > 3. Thank you very much for a discussion. Now I have a better understanding of
    > the GNU GPL license.

    And anyway this is the installer for the Microsoft Windows version!
    I find it very difficult to take all this talk seriously for changes
    to an installer (we got it free and it is zlib/png licensed by the way)
    for a propriatery operating system.

    > PS. I put this problem as a bug...

    please dont. if you already have done then next in future provide the
    number and/or a link to the bug.

    Sincerely
    Alan

    PS if i seem hostile that is because i dont want to have to do the
    installer i18n work, but i know i probably should ...