Re: [AbiCalc] Spreadsheet proposal

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 00:42:30 EST

    On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

    > On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 16:23, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > > Im not going to dignify this with a proper response.
    >
    > What kind of bug bit you? :)
    >
    > A proper response would have been better than this phrase.
    >
    > Ok, I think I can understand the temptation to "become" an office suite,
    > piece by piece or all at once it's the same, but (and maybe I'm just
    > being very obtuse) I really don't understand why do so.
    >
    > AbiWord as it is gives already so much work to its core developers and
    > is so "incomplete" as far as a decent word processor needs to be (it's
    > more or less on the word pad league on most of the features, but has
    > surpassed it in others).
    >
    > If you're so interested in having a spreadsheet component, I can't see
    > why not use one that has so much potential and is so good. All the work
    > that needs doing is work that would benefit both abiword and gnumeric.
    >
    > If you really want to waste time on an AbiSheets (hmmm) or something
    > like that, then do so, by all means, if you will feel better and more
    > productive that way :)
    >
    > I just pronounced a sensible question... there are quite some office
    > suites that work on GNU/Linux systems, and yet there is not ONE word
    > processor that can compare itself at the technical level of LaTeX. Not
    > ONE that can be compared at the easy to use level of MS Word. I think we
    > need to concentrate our efforts into making one hell of a good word
    > processor (that even church secretaries can use). Why waste time on a
    > spreadsheet when there is one hell of good spreadsheet program?

    I fully agree. Gnumeric rocks. The original abisource guys were thinking
    of forking gnumeric and porting it to the abi XP framework. Such an
    ambitious agenda is way beyond our current resoucres. We'd need a big
    infusion of talent to do that.

    I'm much more interested in bringing AbiWord up to par with MS Word and
    Open Office on features.

    Cheers

    Martin