Re: [AbiCalc] Spreadsheet proposal

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 15:12:16 EST

    On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 16:23, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > Im not going to dignify this with a proper response.

    What kind of bug bit you? :)

    A proper response would have been better than this phrase.

    Ok, I think I can understand the temptation to "become" an office suite,
    piece by piece or all at once it's the same, but (and maybe I'm just
    being very obtuse) I really don't understand why do so.

    AbiWord as it is gives already so much work to its core developers and
    is so "incomplete" as far as a decent word processor needs to be (it's
    more or less on the word pad league on most of the features, but has
    surpassed it in others).

    If you're so interested in having a spreadsheet component, I can't see
    why not use one that has so much potential and is so good. All the work
    that needs doing is work that would benefit both abiword and gnumeric.

    If you really want to waste time on an AbiSheets (hmmm) or something
    like that, then do so, by all means, if you will feel better and more
    productive that way :)

    I just pronounced a sensible question... there are quite some office
    suites that work on GNU/Linux systems, and yet there is not ONE word
    processor that can compare itself at the technical level of LaTeX. Not
    ONE that can be compared at the easy to use level of MS Word. I think we
    need to concentrate our efforts into making one hell of a good word
    processor (that even church secretaries can use). Why waste time on a
    spreadsheet when there is one hell of good spreadsheet program?

    Peace... rms

    + So let's do it...?