Re: Encoding issues

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 22:35:09 EST

     --- Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@web.de> wrote:
    > Jordi Mas wrote:
    > > I did very recently the win32 status bar native
    > > implementation. Under win32 this is displayed
    > > correctly because I added this piece of code on
    > > ap_Win32StatusBar.cpp to convert from UTF8 to the
    > > native encoding:
    >
    > No, that's not really the issue...
    > Gtk requires UTF-8. However, the current code
    > converts twice to UTF-8 - so the statusbar contains
    > a string like "Symbol oder Sonderzeichen
    > einfÃŒgen" instead of "Symbol oder Sonderzeichen
    > einfügen".

    Converting UTF-8 to UTF-8 is harmless. The problem is
    that nobody seems to know or check what encoding a
    string uses at any time. In this case we're
    converting
    from ISO-8859-X to UTF-8, then converting from
    ISO-8859-X to UTF-8 again, getting the source
    encoding wrong the second time. Argh! ):

    Andrew.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com