Re: Encoding issues

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 07:31:27 EST

    Hello Andrew!

    > Hi Jordi. This code is better than some but it only
    > works on all Windows builds at the moment because we
    > don't yet support Windows Unicode builds (which we

    If we try to build native UNICODE builds (BTW, they will only work on
    NT/2000/XP based systems) we will need to change lots of things.

    > badly need for many reasons). There is in fact no

    Which reasons? It's clear that is going to be faster on NT based systems and
    it's better to use UNICODE than 8-bit encoding, but why we need it badly?

    In any case, we will need to keep building non-unicode builds for a very long
    time.

    > guarantee that the Windows GUI will be using an 8-bit
    > encoding, and many newly supported languages on Win32
    > *only* work in 16-bit Unicode!

    And they most likely do not work on win 9.x.

    > XAP_EncodingManager::get_instance()-getDefaultGUIEncodingName(),
    > &uRead, &uWrite);

    I will look into this.

    Thanks,

    --