Re: First Patch prize winner - ArVee!

From: ArVee - (arvee_at_work@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 04:16:49 EST

    >From: ericzen <ericzen@ez-net.com>
    >To: ArVee - <arvee_at_work@hotmail.com>
    >Subject: Re: First Patch prize winner - ArVee!
    >Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 02:12:35 -0600
    >
    >On 2002.11.04 01:40 ArVee - wrote:
    > >
    > > It was fun to contribute, but I couldn't have done it without the great
    >work
    > > of all the people that have created the WV library and AbiWord itself!
    > > Expect in the weeks to come an MsExcel importer that imports the
    > > spreadsheet's as tables.
    > >
    > > Cheers !
    > >
    > > ---------------
    > > Ruud Vring (arvee_at_work@hotmail.com)
    > > The Netherlands.
    >

    >You don't think that may be just a wee bit ambitious? Spreadsheets will
    >require algorhythmic properties, embedded document structuring and that
    >like. Or do you intend to, let's call it "borrow," borrow from Gnumeric?
    >
    >-Zen

    Well, maybe it's a bit ambitious, but we've already created an excel class
    that parses the _whole_ file and splits it up in a linked list of objects
    (workbook(s), sheet(s) and cells). Should tell you that I'm working on that
    with someone else (DeJe) and that we're working in the pre-press business
    and that we need that functionality _badly_ (just as we did need the msword
    tables).
    At first, it will import text-only sheets (because people use it a lot to
    typeset tables (without any calculations)).
    Next step will be to parse any calculations and just present the result in
    the table as text.
    Though I'm not sure if we can get it fully xp (because there can be embedded
    VBA code), so the calculations will probably only work on Win32 platforms.

    Ruud Vring (arvee_at_work@hotmail.com)
    The Netherlands.

    Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!