Re: commit: abi (STABLE): more XHTML export work

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 09:48:20 EST

    On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > I've thought about this a fair bit and I must admit that I'm also
    > of the opinion that we shouldn't fake lists this way.

    Fair enough. See comments in previous post.

    > 1. If CSS has constructs that support nested lists as we need them I think
    > we should use those constructs. If some browsers can't handle them, those
    > browsers should be fixed. (If ie users complain tell them to download moz)

    While I would love to be able to do this, as a feasible solution it sucks.

    > 2. I would to think that one day abiword will be able to fully round-trip
    > export and import from (X)HTML. Doing lists this way means we will end up
    > with a fake list in abiword as a collection of tables after reading it
    > back.

    As I said before, this is a non-issue, easily fixed. However, since we'll
    probably be switching (back) to proper nested lists there's no urgency.

    I'm curious: how many people do round-tripping? Our standard advice here
    has always been to save as AWML and to export a copy as XHTML. That's the
    best way to preserve formatting. One of my desires is indeed to create an
    XHTML importer/exporter pair that preserves as much as AbiWord's native
    format, but we certainly didn't have that in <= 1.0.3

    Regards, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

      `Medium atomic weights are available: Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond,
    Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.
      `Sapphire and Steel have been assigned...'