Re: Numerous Cursor glitches, especially in Tables.

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 20:30:15 EDT

    On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 07:37, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 17:18, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > > Hi Folks,
    > > Insert a table into abiword. Start typing text. Move the curosr to
    > > the text you typed. and type some more. See little white lines appear of
    > > your old text.
    >
    > I personally can't reproduce this. The "shadow cursor" that appears at
    > the beginning of the line is a known problem by Pat and me.

    Ok this is probably what I'm seeing then.

    > > Or fire up the merge cell dialog. Merge some cells. The cursor does weird
    > > things and sometimes dissapears.
    >
    > The cursor disappearing is intentional, at least for now. The document
    > technically doesn't have focus (AV_FOCUS_NONE) so therefore no cursor
    > blinks when your mouse is over the modeless dialog (as opposed to being
    > over the document). This is probably not ideal, but then again, it might
    > be the right thing to do. This behavior is great, however, for modal
    > dialogs (see bug "Cursor blinks in the presence of a modal dialog").

    Modeless dialogs should definitely have a blinking cursor to show WHERE
    the action will be applied.The focus state "AV_FOCUS_NEARBY" was applied
    via the old cursor code to enable this. I think it VERY important to
    show the blinking cursor for modeless dialogs. I'm willing to argue
    about no-blinking cursor for modal dialogs but modeless really needs it.

    > BTW, tables do weird things to the document's integrity. So does
    > frequent copy+paste of information. An example of such a table-related
    > assert is:

    OK I'm tracing these now. The old code defiantly had weakness in it.
    I'll make sure these are all fixed,