Re: ATTN: intent to release 1.1.0 based on CVS HEAD

From: ericzen (ericzen@EZ-NET.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 18:21:27 EDT

    On 2002.09.06 13:35 Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > Please consider this a 1-month "head's up". I'd like to get 1.1.0 out
    > the door on Friday October 4, 2002. This will be very much a
    > "developer's release." This means that:
    >
    > * It should be considered unstable (for just about every conceivable
    > definition of unstable)
    > * Some features may not be fully implemented or may be buggy
    > * Some features that will go into 2.0 may not have been started yet and
    > will evolve with the 1.1.x series
    > * There will be no string or documentation freeze
    >
    > That said, this release should definitely raise some eyebrows in the
    > community. It will have quite a few good new features, bug fixes,
    > plugins, and other such updates. It should "reasonably work" for most
    > people, given some definition of "reasonably". I'd like to set the
    > baseline at "just about all 1.0.x features should work in 1.1.0".
    >
    > Users should be encouraged to try this release, but we should steer
    > them away from using it in production settings or as their primary WP.
    > They do so at their own risk, and doing so (to quote EAZen) will
    > "invoke the wrath of Dom" (whatever that means...). Until the 1.1.x
    > tree has stabilized substantially, we should strongly advocate using
    > the 1.0.x series unless there are some dire circumstances forcing a
    > particular user to upgrade.
    >
    > Ideally, this series will generate lots of good bug reports, new
    > developer interest, patches, and an increase in users, all leading to a
    > rock-solid and well-endowed 2.0 product.
    >
    > The tree will close only for a few hours, if that. Tinderbox must be
    > green in order to release. Nothing else will be considered
    > show-stopper. Target platforms: QNX, UNIX/GTK+2, Win32. There will be
    > no UNIX/GNOME2 port of this release. More news will follow as the
    > release date draws nearer.
    >
    > Thanks and keep up the great work,
    > Dom

    A whole series of random thoughts pop up on this one, and probably to early for atleast half of my questions, so, I'll itemize.

    A) WooHoo! Feel free to let us know what will go in when you make the decisions.
    B) I will emphasize the "unstable," "developers release, not ready for primetime" and "not to be used where you need it."
    C) Uwog said "invoke the wrath of dom." I originally said, "*at the risk of invoking the wrath of dom," then changed it to my new favourite running gag, "*at the risk of invoking 'AbiWord II: The Wrath of Dom'."
    D) Will there be a source option with all plugins included? That would be "boffo good!"
    E) ACK! GNOME IS DEAD! HE SAID IT AGAIN! (yet, if you're using gtk<anything>, you're using glib...)

    Look at that, I saved $56 on taxes...so...the government owes me...no, I still owe the government...WHAT!? $64,000!?