ATTN: intent to release 1.1.0 based on CVS HEAD

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 14:35:34 EDT

    Please consider this a 1-month "head's up". I'd like to get 1.1.0 out
    the door on Friday October 4, 2002. This will be very much a
    "developer's release." This means that:

    * It should be considered unstable (for just about every conceivable
    definition of unstable)
    * Some features may not be fully implemented or may be buggy
    * Some features that will go into 2.0 may not have been started yet and
    will evolve with the 1.1.x series
    * There will be no string or documentation freeze

    That said, this release should definitely raise some eyebrows in the
    community. It will have quite a few good new features, bug fixes,
    plugins, and other such updates. It should "reasonably work" for most
    people, given some definition of "reasonably". I'd like to set the
    baseline at "just about all 1.0.x features should work in 1.1.0".

    Users should be encouraged to try this release, but we should steer
    them away from using it in production settings or as their primary WP.
    They do so at their own risk, and doing so (to quote EAZen) will
    "invoke the wrath of Dom" (whatever that means...). Until the 1.1.x
    tree has stabilized substantially, we should strongly advocate using
    the 1.0.x series unless there are some dire circumstances forcing a
    particular user to upgrade.

    Ideally, this series will generate lots of good bug reports, new
    developer interest, patches, and an increase in users, all leading to a
    rock-solid and well-endowed 2.0 product.

    The tree will close only for a few hours, if that. Tinderbox must be
    green in order to release. Nothing else will be considered
    show-stopper. Target platforms: QNX, UNIX/GTK+2, Win32. There will be
    no UNIX/GNOME2 port of this release. More news will follow as the
    release date draws nearer.

    Thanks and keep up the great work,
    Dom