Re: has Unicode font support broken?

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 23:28:34 EDT

     --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote:
    > You'd be very much advised to download
    > xft/fontconfig from fontconfig.com and configure Abi
    > with --enable-xft.

    Actually there could be a real problem here. I've
    been having very strange behaviour with recent
    nightlies on Windows 98 too. An RTF file I've made
    to demonstrate international smart quotes is display
    chinese characters for some of the quotes, and even
    to see these I have to change the font. Even though
    the same document works fine in the same font in MS
    Word.
    I'm having even stranger problems with Word.abw which
    shows many international characters correctly but
    a few are corrput. Hawaiian is showing an N with a
    cedilla, and will save it this way. The real
    character is an o with a macron. Changing the font
    here or sometimes just selecting it can crash AbiWord
    yet loading the file as UTF-8 plain text into MS Word
    Shows the correct characters.

    Could be a different problem but something has gone
    very strange in (probably) UTF-8 import.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    > Dom
    >
    > On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 08:49 AM, Raphael
    > Finkel wrote:
    >
    > > A few weeks ago I got a copy of Abiword source and
    > > compiled it under Linux.
    > > With some fiddling, I got a Unicode font (MS
    > > Arial) to show me Hebrew/Yiddish characters
    > > acceptably. Then last week I used CVS to update
    > > the copy, and now everything I type in or open in
    > > Hebrew/Yiddish is wrong. My setup:
    > >
    > > LANG=he_IL.utf-8; export LANG
    > >
    > > I have a utf-8 subdirectory of AbiSuite/fonts,
    > > in which:
    > > * I have a copy of arial.ttf that I
    > > call arigl.ttf just to
    > > disambiguate.
    > > * fonts.scale has a line:
    > > arigl.ttf

    -monotype-Arigl-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com