Re: AbiWord Hebrew localization

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 03:16:19 EDT

     --- Omer Zak <omerz@actcom.co.il> wrote:
    > Hello Andrew,

    Shalom.

    > I started translating en-GB.strings to make
    > he-IL.strings. For now, I am
    > working under Windows 2000. Few questions:
    > 1. Does Microsoft claim any intellectual property
    > rights on the foreign
    > language translations of phrases up to 3 words
    > (such as Open, Save,
    > Undo, Redo)?

    I don't think it would be possible for Microsoft to
    copyright single common words even if they wanted to
    so go ahead and use them. That's the sensible thing
    to do.

    > 2. How to make AbiWord use the contents of my
    > he-IL.strings when my
    > machine's Regional Settings are set to Hebrew,
    > and the file is copied
    > to C:\Program Files\AbiSuite\AbiWord\strings; and
    > the system.profile
    > has been edited to set DocumentLocale="he-IL"?

    DocumentLocale only means that new documents will have
    their language attribute set to that value.
    To change the GUI you need to set these fields:
    MenuLabelSet="he-IL"
    StringSet="he-IL"
    ToolbarLabelSet="he-IL"

    > 3. I noticed that under Windows 2000, abiword
    > --dumpstrings does not dump
    > strings, neither does abiword /dumpstrings. Is
    > this a bug or a
    > feature?

    That's a good question. I'm CCing the developer list
    again since they're sure to know.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com