Re: AbiWord Hebrew localization

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 08:30:35 EDT

    On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:16:19 +0100 (BST)
    > From: "[iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar" <hippietrail@yahoo.com>
    > To: Omer Zak <omerz@actcom.co.il>
    > Cc: AbiWord <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > Subject: Re: AbiWord Hebrew localization
    >
    > --- Omer Zak <omerz@actcom.co.il> wrote:
    > > Hello Andrew,
    >
    > Shalom.
    >
    > > I started translating en-GB.strings to make
    > > he-IL.strings. For now, I am
    > > working under Windows 2000. Few questions:
    > > 1. Does Microsoft claim any intellectual property
    > > rights on the foreign
    > > language translations of phrases up to 3 words
    > > (such as Open, Save,
    > > Undo, Redo)?
    >
    > I don't think it would be possible for Microsoft to
    > copyright single common words even if they wanted to
    > so go ahead and use them. That's the sensible thing
    > to do.
    >
    > > 2. How to make AbiWord use the contents of my
    > > he-IL.strings when my
    > > machine's Regional Settings are set to Hebrew,
    > > and the file is copied
    > > to C:\Program Files\AbiSuite\AbiWord\strings; and
    > > the system.profile
    > > has been edited to set DocumentLocale="he-IL"?
    >
    > DocumentLocale only means that new documents will have
    > their language attribute set to that value.
    > To change the GUI you need to set these fields:
    > MenuLabelSet="he-IL"
    > StringSet="he-IL"
    > ToolbarLabelSet="he-IL"
    >
    > > 3. I noticed that under Windows 2000, abiword
    > > --dumpstrings does not dump
    > > strings, neither does abiword /dumpstrings. Is
    > > this a bug or a
    > > feature?

    i would have sworn that dumpstrings was a Perl script not a built in
    command line arguement.

    for your convience i have attached an old en-US strings file that Michael
    pritchett gave me to do the en-IE (and en-GB and ga-IE against)
    It is quite old and does not include words for anything like tables ...
    but it will keep you busy for a while.

    hopefully someone will provide you with a current version of en-US.

    This has occured a few times and i serious think we should just duplicate
    most of en-US in en-IE (and maybe en-GB :P ) just to make life easier for
    people who want an easily available copy of the English strings.

    Later
    Alan