Re: Hebrew spellcheck

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 12:45:52 EDT

    Just a few comments; spell checking is for living languages, like
    modern Hebrew, not for dead languages, like biblical Hebrew. There
    is no point in spell-checking a biblical text in principle, since it is not
    open to editing, and particularly because its orthography and
    vocalisation is irregular, so that a form that could be found in biblical
    Hebrew dictionary may be correct at one place and wrong at
    another -- like having an English dictionary that allows both 'color'
    and 'colour'. To avoid the squigles the user should simply mark the
    text as 'no proofing'.

    Now, I do understand that the vowel points are ocassionaly used in
    modern Hebrew as well, particularly in literature, when the author
    wishes to disambiguate a word. I personally do not think that we
    need to worry about this too much, the user can add such words to
    their private dictionary.

    Tomas