Re: commit - Move Toolbar Strings into .string files

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 22:14:31 EDT

    On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 09:44 PM, Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > --- "Michael D. Pritchett" <mpritchett@attglobal.net>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Toolbar strings are moved to the string files. This
    >> is in preparation for moving to a gettext mode. All
    >> ap_TB_LabelSet_xx-XX.h are deprecated and will be
    >> removed from HEAD shortly.
    >
    > Does this mean we now have 1 or 2 files with i10n
    > strings? We used to have .strings, labelset, and
    > toolbarset.
    > At one point we had one Russian file using one
    > encoding and another Russian file using another
    > encoding. I have a feeling this was fixed at some
    > point but we have to be sure when merging l10n files
    > that we're not accidentally creating a single file
    > with two encodings. So watch out (:

    We only have one .strings file. There is a possibility that there are
    multiple encodings now used in several of the .strings files. This is
    unfortunate, but temporarily inevitable. The onus is now on the
    translators to ensure that the proper encodings are used so that the
    strings appear as intended within AbiWord.

    > There's another tiny issue related to this that came
    > up on an i18n list recently. Sometimes icons are
    > needed which are bidi dependent - so a good system
    > will know to look for right-to-left icons in any
    > right-
    > to-left locale. Our current system is good but would
    > need seperate icons for Hebrew, Yiddish, Arabic,
    > Farsi,
    > Urdu, etc. I have no idea if we yet have any icons
    > which would be affected.

    I'm not sure if I understand this, or at least not how it relates to
    bidi in particular as opposed to i18n in general. UI toolkits suck as
    GTK+ and QT have long supported substitutable icons based on something
    like $LOCALE. Abi also supports this - you'd hardly want an underlined
    'U' to be used in say, Russian, because the metaphor no longer fits;
    you'd want a 'Y'. If you could clarify your intent with regards to how
    this affects bidi in particular, I for one would appreciate it, and
    probably be a bit smarter because of it.

    Cheers,
    Dom