Re: commit - Move Toolbar Strings into .string files

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 03:59:43 EDT

    --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote:
    > On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 04:45 PM, Alan
    > Horkan wrote:
    >
    > > for OR read AND
    > >
    > > i will still be using the .strings files directly
    > :P
    > > if i can force myself to work on the Irish
    > localisation again.
    > >
    > > As i am not already familiar with gettext i dont
    > see much benifit in
    > > using it. Until you start mentioning tools like
    > POEdit, i dont see any
    > > particular benefits of using gettext (if you are
    > not already familiar
    > > with it). Perhaps someone will enlighten me.
    >
    > The fact that external tools exist for translators
    > to use is *entirely*
    > the benefit of using gettext. This will allow us to:
    >
    > 1) Have translators use tools that they like and are
    > familiar with,
    > including all of their benefits
    > 2) Drop our .po files inside of GNOME's CVS
    > repository a few days
    > before a release. Because of #1, translators will
    > just translate all of
    > our strings for us, and then we re-merge them.
    > Completely effortless on
    > our part. Relatively easier on our translators'
    > parts.
    >
    > Still don't see any benefit? I see 2 *HUGE*
    > benefits.

    Just for the sake of completeness, I will add to what
    Dom said a:

    * merge of new strings with old translation files,
    marking the strings that were already translated but
    whose original english text has changed. When I was
    actively translating AbiWord that was a huge pain in
    the ass, as it required scanning the *whole* strings
    file checking that the translations were still up to
    date, and several of them changed, so yes, it was a
    real concern.

    * I don't remember the current state of our code, but
    with gettext managing dialectal variations are quite
    easy, as you don't have to duplicate the whole strings
    file for each dialect (say en-US, en-GB, en-...). You
    just write translate an en.po file, and then you write
    on a en_GB.po file the exceptions. But maybe we
    already have that, I don't remember.
    Even without poedit, kbabel or gtranslator, gettext is
    worth it for me even if only for this reason.

    Cheers,

    =====
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela
    e98cuenc@yahoo.com