utf-8 support: much better, a few things still wrong

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 16:22:45 EDT

    I just got today's CVS version and compiled on Linux against gtk-2.0, glib-2.0,
    --enable-xft. I am using Abiword for Yiddish texts.

    1. Apparently I no longer need to have a fonts/utf-8 directory, even though I
    set my language variable to he_IL.utf-8. (good; building such a directory is a
    true nuisance)

    2. As soon as I click on the Font menu (where it starts with Times New Roman)
    I get an abort (not good). Luckily, I can use the ^D menu without problems
    (good).

    3. By renaming my dictionary to yiddish-yivo.hash (likewise for encoding), I
    get proper Yiddish spell checking, with underlining of badly spelled words
    (good).

    4. When I have an underlined word indicating bad spelling, right click brings
    up a menu with suggestions. All the suggestions are invisible. I can only
    figure out what they contain by trying them (not good).

    5. The text displays fine with Times New Roman and with Arial, except that
    combining characters not only modify the previous character (good) but leave an
    empty rectangle in the next space (not good).

    6. The font-choice menu (^d) doesn't show a sample of text until I click on
    one of the suggested fonts, even though the intially selected font can display
    the text (not great). This display does not show combining codes combining
    with the previous letter (not good). Nor does it show the text in proper Bidi
    order (not good).

    7. The spelling-correction box I get with F7 shows incorrectly spelled text in
    a different font (ok) in correct Bidi order (good) with combining marks
    properly combining (good) and with no empty rectangles after combining marks
    (good). Double-clicking on one of the suggestions does not have the effect of
    auto-invoking "change" (ok, but could be improved). Typing in a replacement in
    the Change to: box does not auto-invoke "change" when I type the <cr> (ok, but
    could be improved). I can type in utf-8 characters in the "Change to" box
    (using xmodmap to re-key my keyboard) (good), and the characters are properly
    displayed (good). But when I activate with "change", I discover that some
    characters are misunderstood, primarily (but not only) combining characters
    (not good); they are replaced by other characters.

    8. I have started to build a yi.po file for Yiddish. I've done about 1/5 of
    the file. I'll provide it when I am done.

    Raphael Finkel