Re: commit: Improvements to RTF table export.

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 23:21:22 EDT

    On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 13:06, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 04:53, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > >
    > > > Oh don't forget to check against MW WordPad and
    > > > the RTF that Mac OS X uses too. Hub can probably
    > > > get you an OS X sample if you need one.
    > > >
    > > > Our RTF already seems to have some dependencies on
    > > > either the standard or MS Word and could be more
    > > > forgiving.
    > >
    > > In all honesty, MSWord is the de-facto standard. By
    > > *far* it is the #1 producer and consumer of RTF, and
    > > should be used as the guide where the spec is
    > > lacking - for this reason, and for the reasons that
    > > MSFT owns the spec.
    >
    > This is certainly true yet when I complain about
    > problems between our RTF and Word's (list support
    > which makes a mess of my resume) all I hear back is
    > that we won't fix it because MS isn't sticking to the
    > standard. That won't get us anywhere. RTF is an
    > exchange format and, broken or not, this is the most
    > important format for interoperability and at least as
    > an ideal goal we should strive to read in even what
    > seems to be mangled in one way or another.
    > I know Word and WordPad handle each-other's RTF pretty
    > much perfectly even though they're not the same.

    Hi Andrew,
              WordPad plain-out breaks RTF for lists. It was frankly too much work
    to code around it's bugginess for me. Feel free to fix it. I can provide
    pointers. Make sure to not break out current working implementation for
    non-buggy readers. I think it would have taken me a month to get it
    right.

    MS Word imports your resume perfectly. WordPad put's two bullet symbols
    when it should have put one.

    At some point you've got to cut your losses.

    Cheers

    Martin