Bidi problem with 1.0.3 (was Re: Hebrew in AbiWord)

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 04:35:46 EDT

    Hi Omer,

    > 1. I fetched the abiword-1.0.3.tar.gz tarball (dated
    > Sept. 11, 2002, size
    > 19443253 bytes) and compiled AbiWord from it under Linux, using:
    > ABI_OPT_DEBUG=1 ABI_OPT_BIDI_ENABLED=1 DEBUG=1 make
    >
    > The binary appears to write debug messages to stdout (assertion
    > violations, etc.) so the debug options work.
    >
    > But I don't see the "Right-to-left dominant" checkbox control in
    > the Format/Paragraph/alignment&spacing dialog. Is this something
    > which is temporarily broken in 1.0.3, or did I do something wrong
    > when compiling AbiWord?

    It looks like a problem with the 1.0.3 sources; I am CC-ing this to the
    list for the stable maintainers to look into. It is perhaps worth noting
    that as far as bidi is concerned, there are fairly major differences
    between the stable branch (1.0.x) and the current CVS code, which
    is more efficient, and much less debugged.

    > 2. I still have a big problem getting Hebrew fonts to work in my Linux
    > installation, after taking the Windows 2000 fonts which have Hebrew
    > glyphs. I isolated the problem to the following:
    >
    > [omer@c2 work]$ xset +fp
    > /home/omer/work/AbiWord/Abi/share/AbiSuite/fonts/ISO-8859-8
    > X Error of failed request: 86
    > Major opcode of failed request: 51 (X_SetFontPath)
    > Serial number of failed request: 9
    > Current serial number in output stream: 11
    > [omer@c2 work]$
    >
    > Any helpful suggestions where to look for the reason for X Error
    > No. 86?

    have you seen the problemfonts.abw/xhtml document? it should be
    included with the stable tarbal, and it contains all my knowhow
    concerning font problems on Unix. I myself have not used or
    developed AW on Unix for the past 6 months, so I am currently not
    in position to offer more practical help with this. As far as I recall,
    the xset command fails on certain installations (RedHat 7.x for
    instance) because the font services are not provided directly via X
    but through xfs; in that case it is necessary to add the AW font
    directory manually and permanently to the xfs font path.

    The developement version can be now be compiled with xft support,
    which gets rid of all this font mess, but having not used it myself yet,
    I do not know what the option passed to ./config to enable the xft
    code is.

    Tomas