Re: l10n problems?

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 04:50:58 EDT

    On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 02:28:27AM +0100, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > > Where does it come from then?
    > > It is weird since the pt-PT.strings declares the
    > > encoding to UTF-8 and
    > > not ISO-8859-15, or am I missing something?
    >
    > No the strings has its own encoding. Your system
    > thinks its encoding is ISO-8859-15. Which should mean
    > that's what you have LANG or LC_ALL set to.
    > So check your LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANGUAGE
    > environment variables. These have some kind of dark
    > magic precedence so I can't remember which is most
    > important. However, if two have different encodings
    > set, this could be the source of the problem.
    >
    > If you still have problems, show me the debug output
    > section from the EncodingManager only with these:
    > LANG=en_US
    > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    > LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1
    > LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15
    > LANG=pt_PT
    > LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
    > LANG=pt_PT.ISO-8859-1
    > LANG=pt_PT.ISO-8859-15

    I only get localization with utf-8 (be it .utf8 or .UTF-8).
    At launch time, the asserts are in the toolbars...
    At run time, the toolbar labels are completely wacky...

    It may not have anything to do with it, but this has only happened ever
    since the toolbar strings moved into the .strings files.

    I suspect that there is some encoding problem with the toolbars.
    Menus and dialogs are competely fine.

    > Oh and of course check if there's any syntax errors
    > in the Portuguese strings file!

    From what I can tell, there is no syntax error. :)

    Rui