Re: Implementing support for barbarisms correction

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 14:11:06 EDT

    > In the other side, barbarisms are different. They are just wrong words. If you
    > already have a word in your language to express a concept and you use an
    > incorrect one that is a barbarism.

    I wanted to get a better understanding of what you are talking about and
    found these:

    http://www.tulane.edu/~kidder/SlipsandBarbs.html

    "It is very useful to use this guide as a checklist to insure that your
    writing is clear and eloquent. Most word processors have a search and
    replace function that can be "programmed" to find and change offending
    terms or usage."

    http://its-nt.nmc.edu/writectr/barbarisms.htm

    So i think now i understand barbarisms, but if dom does not want them in
    the tree it is mute point but i suppose we could do some peer review and
    decide what is best
    (okay so the previous sentence is probably just bad rather than containing
    barbarisms)

    This is another part of whatever it is that describes
    something that encapsulates grammar
    spellchecking style diction etc.

    The Gnu Aspell people probably have a better idea of where this fits in to
    the scheme of things.

    Later
    Alan