Re: Implementing support for barbarisms correction

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 14:39:15 EDT

    Your English barbarism links add something very important to this
    discussion - that a good barbarism tool will need something that spell
    checking tools lack, and that grammar checkers have, namely context.

    Anything based on simple word replacement would be a hack, and miss
    things like:

    already vs all ready
    accept vs except

    which are all valid English words. A spell checker model would miss "all
    ready" when you wanted to type "already." The links you point to reek of
    suggestions a grammar checker might make. A simple "find/replace wrong
    word" suggestion won't do for anything more complex than, say, an
    American getting rid of excess 'u's and 'e's from British words, because
    it lacks context. Even in some cases like "enthuse" there is no word
    that maps directly onto it. Your tool would need to suggest something
    like "Reword this using the phrase 'to be enthusiastic'"

    Again, I'm not opposed for a tool like this from going into the main or
    plugin tree. I just want it to be done correctly, at the correct level,
    and for the correct reasons. A poorly implemented feature is often worse
    than not having that feature at all.

    Dom