Re: Implementing support for barbarisms correction

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 02:24:26 EDT

     --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote:
    > Hi Jordi,
    >
    > On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 13:16, Jordi Mas wrote:
    >
    > > In the other side, barbarisms are different. They
    > > are just wrong words. If you already have a word
    > > in your language to express a concept and you use
    > > an incorrect one that is a barbarism.
    >
    > I'm wondering about languages like French, which
    > will come up with a replacement for the word
    > "Computer" in its own tongue. How do we best
    > handle that? Are all of these words now
    > "barbarisms?" Even though they're in common use,
    > *everyone* uses them, and they've been used for a
    > decade now? How will Abi best handle that?

    The French language is pretty famous for having tough
    language cops. Ordinateur is the word for computer
    and that's it. I'm not sure if it's France or Quebec
    who had (maybe still do) police who were actually
    going
    to fine you on the street if they caught you using
    words such as "jeans" or "hamburger".
    L'Académie française puts a lot of effort into
    inventing official pure French words to replace each
    new English word as it creeps in.
    Finnish and Icelandic also do this but I'm not sure
    how they police it or if the people just happily use
    the official native words anyway.

    Andrew.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com